[plug] Make The Move website launched!

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Sun Jan 7 18:27:52 WST 2007

Adam Hewitt wrote:

> On 06/01/2007, at 1:28 AM, Jonathan Young wrote:
>
>> Arie Hol wrote:
>>> Nice work, easy on the eye and with a good lay-out. My aging CRT had
>>> bit of a wrestle with the recommended resolution of 1024x768. Hint :
>>> not every body in the world has the most modern whiz bang display
>>> units.
>> Not to be argumentative Arie, but I wholeheartedly disagree with
>> keeping website resolutions down to include a broader audience.  For
>> those people who wish to run old CRT screens, fine.  But expect the
>> various headaches that go with them and expect to find some things
>> hard to view.
>>
>> Now I say all of this simply because I wouldn't want anyone
>> developing a website to think that expecting it to require 1024x768
>> as a minimum is a bad thing - in fact, it's about time.
>>
>> If things don't look quite right for those with old CRTs... don't
>> worry.  They'll be used to it soon enough...
>>
> Although I have been running my desktop at 1600x1200 for the past 5
> years I have to say that this is an ignorant point of view. You have
> completely disregarded anyone with vision impairments who don't have a
> choice of the resolution of their screen. All websites should be
> written to accommodate *any* resolution and also not turn completely
> horrible when someone requires the font size increased.
>
> I know a number of people with vision impairments who use linux over
> windows so I would think that this kind of website *especially* would
> want to be accessible to all.

I think "ignorant" is a bit harsh.  I gave it some thought and it's just
an opinion - don't let it spoil your day!  I work with a range of people
in all sorts of work environments, levels of ability, financial
capacity, disability etc etc.

For the record, I completely agree that a good website should work well
and scale down to almost any resolution - after all, a window doesn't
have to be used full screen and I sometimes find myself browsing in a
corner.

My two main points were:

(1) I don't believe in limiting the design of websites in order to cater
to people with old CRT screens.  That's not a good reason.  Disability?
Sure.  That I'll pay.  It's a different reason entirely.

(2) I don't think 1024x768 is particularly "the most modern whiz bang
display".  It should be the defacto standard by now.

So, if you are going to recommend improvements of a website's design for
technical reasons or to accommodate users with disabilities, sure.  I'm
all for it.  But suggesting that 1024x768 is too high for people using
old monitors is like complaining about the 100km/h speed limit on the
freeway because you drive a 1950's oldsmobile.

I like to see old hardware being re-used, believe if it isn't broke
don't fix it and agree that you can use less than state-of-the-art
hardware if you don't need anything better than what you've got.  But I
believe in progress and the adoption of new technology too.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com