[plug] Gentoo on APC cover disc

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 4 21:08:46 WST 2007

Try the superadduser script to get a more user friendly interface if
running useradd is causing difficulties.

gentoo != redhat

Gentoo doesnt do a kitchen sink install and its quite likely on a new
and basic install there are a lot of hanging hooks with no backend to
operate.  Gentoo's gnome is a rather unfriendly place on a new install.
Gentoo isnt truly usable out of the box - it provides a base for you to
build on.  With redhat, you pay (or someone does in fees for updates
support etc) for someone to set up, fine tune and customise things.
Gentoo gives you a framework (its a meta distro after all) - and you
provide all the things redhat/suse/debian and the like do to give you a
usable distro.  Gentoo doesnt change the packages much from a the
original programmers setup - redhat and others do so - often very
considerably.  As a consequence some things are very clunky and
unitegrated feeling compared to a normal distro.  So its quite likely
you are stuck between those differences (i.e., useradd can create the
home directory - 'man useradd' for the -m option) and not so much a poor
quality distro.

And having used gentoo for years, I can say that the current version is
not perfect, but is way the friendliest version ever!!  I think my first
one was around 2000 or maybe earlier - that was an adventure!  I dont do
too many new installs thee days, but tend to tar a suitable template
across to the new system and rejig it.

I am about to install a new system for a friend - Fedora 7, not gentoo.
Because he is going to manage it, not me and he knows fedora well (as a
user)  Appropriate choice for the job!

BillK