[plug] Gentoo on APC cover disc

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 4 23:33:37 WST 2007

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Try the superadduser script to get a more user friendly interface if
> running useradd is causing difficulties.
>
> gentoo != redhat
>
> Gentoo doesnt do a kitchen sink install and its quite likely on a new
> and basic install there are a lot of hanging hooks with no backend to
> operate.  Gentoo's gnome is a rather unfriendly place on a new install.
> Gentoo isnt truly usable out of the box - it provides a base for you to
> build on.  With redhat, you pay (or someone does in fees for updates
> support etc) for someone to set up, fine tune and customise things.
> Gentoo gives you a framework (its a meta distro after all) - and you
> provide all the things redhat/suse/debian and the like do to give you a
> usable distro.  Gentoo doesnt change the packages much from a the
> original programmers setup - redhat and others do so - often very
> considerably.  As a consequence some things are very clunky and
> unitegrated feeling compared to a normal distro.  So its quite likely
> you are stuck between those differences (i.e., useradd can create the
> home directory - 'man useradd' for the -m option) and not so much a poor
> quality distro.
>
> And having used gentoo for years, I can say that the current version is
> not perfect, but is way the friendliest version ever!!  I think my first
> one was around 2000 or maybe earlier - that was an adventure!  I dont do
> too many new installs thee days, but tend to tar a suitable template
> across to the new system and rejig it.
>
> I am about to install a new system for a friend - Fedora 7, not gentoo.
> Because he is going to manage it, not me and he knows fedora well (as a
> user)  Appropriate choice for the job!

Thanks guys.  I looked at the man page for useradd but not well enough.
  I've used the -m option before but forgot this time.

I did not expect a bells and whistles install.  I do think, however,
that if a feature is not functional it should be omitted from the menu.

I will try again, but not with gnome.

Jim