[plug] I give up

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon Jul 23 11:32:43 WST 2007

I agree with Wayne!

hatari at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hello, any....
>
> I disagree unless we also stop "advertising" the businesses we have setup to make money
> out of Linux too (aka phixpcs, etc.)
>
> There are many "types" of users in this club and trying to accommodate "most" would be
> helpful.  Gentle reminders from time to time about "[OT]" is fine but the nazi approach just
> demonstrates intolerance, or arrogance, or ignorance, or foolishness.  Certainly numbers
> issues start out as "linux" but end up as "hardware".  Harmless stuff really - even beneficial in
> the long run.
>
> Regards,
> wayne
>

>> On 21 Jul 2007 at 15:23, Jonathan Young wrote:
>>
>> Adam Hewitt wrote:
>>
>>     Hi All,
>>
>>     I managed to spill a few drops of coke on my g15 gaming keyboard last
>>     Friday, which I wiped off immediately. I continued to use it for the rest of
>>     the day without problems and then discovered on Saturday that 85% of the
>>     keys don't work any more.
>>
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> Sorry to pick on this one as it is certainly not the worst example... but I am a bit sick of reading
>> PLUG messages that have nothing to do with Linux.
>>
>> I work in IT. I deal with broken hardware, Windows problems and a wide range of non-Linux
>> software every day of the week.After hours I read the PLUG list to expand my Linux knowledge
>> not for more of the same. I encounter interesting situations, I read news stories. I don't feel the
>> urge to post it to PLUG. I will occasionally want to consult the range of contacts that I have
>> (including PLUGgers) for help. I use the off-topic list for sending out general requests for help
>> unless the discussion that will result is Linux orientated and will be of use to other Linux users.
>>
>> Not everyone on this list bothers to think before hitting send. There are two lists for a reason. I
>> am sick of reading job adverts, hardware problems, for sale/adverts, how to dispose of hardware,
>> discussions about things that don't even relate to IT, job adverts and Dilbert cartoons when I can
>> easily find all that in far more appropriate forums. I've had enough of getting a steady stream of
>> stuff I don't want to read filling up my Inbox. I've written a few filters to kill off some of it, but in the
>> end I'm going to go back to searching the web archives for what I want when I want it and
>> Googling what I can't find. Asking nicely has never worked, so I give up. I'm looking back on 3
>> years worth of mail and if you search for "off-topic" in the body of those messages as an indication
>> of the number of times someone has pointed out abuse of this mailing list and suggested it be
>> moved off-topic, you'll see what I mean.By the way, sticking [OT] in the subject line only proves
>> you knew better to begin with.
>>
>> Thanks to those who follow the guidelines for all the knowledge and good advice. Shame about
> [...]

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 11 types of people ...
   ... those who understand Roman numerals, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal