[plug] Changes to PLUG

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 28 13:29:41 WST 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 12:53 +0800, hatari at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hello, Any....
>
> On the "parallelism" of newbies and techies....
>
> One of the problems with "simultaneous" management of an org is that it becomes neither
> this nor that.  (The problem becomes especially pronounced over time.)  Indeed, as I
> commented only recently - in another email - that was how SLPWA developed.  The original
> PLUGgers decided that they could do more for themselves on a business level.  They
> migrated (in the main) and the talent left in PLUG (and new members) become "new" talent -
> and we start over again.  Something needs to be done to address this "situation".  No, I don't
> mean be flippant with me; I mean good, envigorating discussion - together - to work out how
> this segregation might be addressed for the better.  Otherwise, the alternative is that when
> you get good enough in PLUG you resign and join SLPWA.  (P.S. I say resign because that is
> effectively what happens - disengagement.)
>
> Regards,
> wayne

This I must protest in a most vigorous way.  SLPWA was designed to
promote the commercial interests of those involved with Linux or Open
Source consulting.  It was not designed to replace PLUG or splinter away
original or hard core pluggers by any means.  I think many of those who
joined SLPWA and disengaged from PLUG also disengaged from SLPWA over
time.  Those who are involved with SLPWA at the moment are also still
involved with PLUG.  The organisations have different but complimentary
aims.

Regards,
Tim