[plug] fresh kubuntu install - what's the root password?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 22 08:09:45 WST 2007

David,

> I want to start installing stuff using apt-get, but to do so, I'm going
> to need to be root.  Does anyone know how to reset the root password in
> a fresh kubuntu install?

You can use "sudo" by default, IIRC:

eg, open up a terminal or log into a console, then:

david% sudo su -
ENTER YOUR PASSWORD
david#

You could then use passwd to change the real root password if you
wanted. I suspect that the graphical programs such as Synaptic would
probably accept your normal password too if they asked (but that's only
a suspicion).

DSL