[plug] (X)Ubuntu, older hardware

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Mon May 14 17:36:59 WST 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> > I've got an old P2 Toshiba laptop (300MHz I think) with 64MB RAM which

> If you can get another 64MB of RAM in that beast, I'd say you'll be okay
> with Xubuntu. Heck, 64MB would be okay -- not great -- usable.

You're an optimist!
Gregory, if you cannot upgrade the memory, take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments

You'll see Xfce classed as a mid-range environment, and i hear 128mb as an
absolute minimum. Even then, you can't do a GUI install.
  There are several lighter-weight desktops that would run
better on your 64MB machine. But they do need more operator knowledge than
gnome & kde, so not easy for beginners.
  But some of us remember running X-windows with 8MB RAM on a 386 :-)

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0