[plug] Network Monitoring Solutions

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:31:30 WST 2007

Adam hewitt wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am currently going through the testing phase of a project to
> implement a new NMS and I was wondering if anyone here had any
> recommendations?
>

> The basic requirements are:
>
> Scalable to more than 10000+ network elements
>
> Usable response times for users on reasonable hardware

Zabbix I've found tends to hammer the database with stupid queries, so
make sure you've given it enough memory. It was running a bit slow on a
3GHz P4 with 512MB of memory, but putting it into a VM on a Quad-Core
Xeon with 1GB of RAM seems to have sorted it out.

The database is also straightforward to work out if you want to
customise it, or alter lots of hosts at once (the PHP web interface is a
bit clunky). Otherwise it seems to work ok for our setup, though I'm not
sure how it scales to 10000 hosts.

I believe Adrian Woodley spent a good chunk of last month's seminar
saying how great Munin was, so that may also be worth a look :)

-Patrick