[plug] reset nVidia card to factory defaults??

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 22 09:49:20 WST 2007

Thanks Bill, Arie.

The only problem about trying the MB BIOS settings is... I cannot see them
:-)   At boot time the card remains silent until the OS and xorg takes
over.   Then we have video.

Secondary point - assuming that the MB BIOS has somehow been reset (to AGP
or whatever) *would* this be possible through the use of nvidia-xconfig and
/ or sax2?    I would have thought that a BIOS API would be needed as well
as code within nvidia/sax to utilise it.    Not saying that the idea is
false, just that I am having difficulty getting my head around it.

Another possibility in this line though is, as Bill says, that if there is
only one card (my case) the MB BIOS may be "smart enough" to test for the
presence of a card of whatever type it has been told to expect (PCI-e in my
case.)   If it fails to find one (say the PCI-e card appears fritzed) then
it tries to default to a (non existent) AGP card but cannot tell me of its
error because there is simply no video.   In that situation I would expect
panic beeps but there are none.   Curiouser and curiouser!

The thought of dual outputs is a good one too.   In my situation I have a
dual-input monitor (analogue + digital) and with both cables connected,
switching the monitor between the two shows no video on either output at
boot/POST time.   ("No video" means the power-on LED on the monitor shows
orange with no video signals, green with signals.   That is my means of
signal-presence monitoring.)

Indeed I was hoping for some clues within the OS environment as to how to
switch between the two outputs at card level.   ATM it is using the
analogue route and the display is a bit more "ordinary" than I think it
would be if fed digital signals.

I will write to the openSuSE forum and to the good nVidia folks with a view
to discovering a fix or some utility / utilities that will help restore the
card.   And I do have another card (nVidia 7800) that I can use to get the
box running in the meantime - but hopefully I will not wind up, as Arie
implied, with two dud cards through misadventure.

Arie speaks to the card having its own BIOS / firmware.   I think this is
what needs "un-tweaking" to put the card back on the rails again.   Reasonable?

FWIW when I discover a fix I'll let the group know.   It may just come in
useful down the track :-)

Regards and thanks,
Denis