[solved?] was Re: [plug] reset nVidia card to factory defaults??

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 09:34:07 WST 2007

At 04:48 PM 26/11/2007, W.Kenworthy wrote:
>Something I just noticed when rebuilding a kernel yesterday - there are
>some display settings that may be active before the nvidia driver takes
>over.  This is in  2.6.22/23.
>
>In 2.6.13 where I am now, in graphics, there is a "low level switch
>control", and the in the console display driver support (another level
>down) there is a "map the console to primary display device"

Many thanks to Bill and others who responded.   I think that I have
determined the "cause" of my grief...

When powering on the card, I had attached *both* the analogue (VGA) and
digital (DVI) cables to *the same monitor*, an IBM P275 (aka model 6652)

Now the monitor has a switch on its front panel to select between the
sources.   However the electronics are active (presumably) regardless of
the switch setting.   So during power-up it is possible that the video card
became "confused" as to what was expected of it.

Someone hinted at this saying that Windows and Linux occasionally saw the
analogue and digital outputs as different priority devices.

Suffice it to say that ATM the analogue cable route always works :-)   If
time permits I will have a look in the kernel config to see if i can
activate the digital as primary display, but I still think there must be
some nVidia / aftermarket applet that enables digital from the card as the
primary.   Hope this may save someone stress in the future.

Denis