[plug] migrating to Linux.

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sat Sep 22 14:04:42 WST 2007

There was once a "macro scripter" which let you script actions to perform
on windows GUI applications. You'd start it up, record a series of events
(start app X, go to menu option Y, select Z, enter "foo" in text box, click
"OK"..) and you could then play it back at whim.

You may find its possible to grab a bit of software which lets you record
the steps to take to open, convert, and save a file - then you just start
it up on a small group of files at a time and go have a coffee.

(I can't remember what its called though. Gah, and I used to make such
extensive use of it in high school when doing Windows 3.11 hijinx..)

Finally, you might find the application in question has a command line
option to /open and /save (as arbitrary examples) files. Try running
the application with a /? paramter in a command box, or google around
for the apps' command line option list.)

Adrian

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> Is there a way to covert existing Lotus 123 and Wordpro files in the
> respective formats to .xls and .doc format so that they can be loaded
> into Open Office?
>
> Unfortunately, OO still does not have a conversion from the Lotus format.
>
> If there is no short way, it means manually opening 23 years worth of
> existing files one at a time and "SAVE AS" into the the MS format and
> then doing the same in OO.
>
> Seems a complete waste of time to me.
>

> Alex

- $25/pm entry-level bandwidth-capped VPSes available in WA -