[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Keith Bawden keith at bawdo.com
Mon Aug 4 20:29:02 WST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 18:37, w0018749 <w0018749 at mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote:
> I am buying a new laptop and I want to know: What brand of
> computers are the best?

With a laptop I pretty much think it is a personal choice. The
monitor, keyboard and pointing device are very important as you cannot
swap them out like you can with a desktop. If you are stuck with a
laptop and you hate the feel of the keyboard then you will regret ever
buying it...

Having said that, and for no particular reason that I can think of, I
have had a soft spot for Toshiba laptops. I have had 4 to date. I
currently use a Toshiba Dynabook SS SX, and a Dell M1210. The Dynabook
is around 1kg in weight and is ideal for use on planes, trains and
generally toting about. The Dell weighs in at a hefty 2.6 or so-ish
kg..

As for hardware support. I must have been lucky. I have been running
Linux on laptops for at least 9 years and the only two devices I have
really had problems with is the built in modems (and I have not needed
one of them for a long time either).

Regards, Keith