[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Martin Langsjoen lists at langsjoen.org
Mon Aug 4 20:39:36 WST 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 19:37 +1000, w0018749 wrote:
> I am buying a new laptop and I want to know: What brand of
> computers are the best?  This question probably has many
> answers so just a link to another discussion somewhere would
> be enough - or even a list of brands to avoid.

All the big ones produce different models for different market segments.

HP and Lenovo have some models of high build quality that uses well
supported chipsets.

I would prefer a laptop with a good build quality and a well supported
GPU. ATI and Intel is the way to go when it comes to open source
graphics drivers.

A smallish harddrive can be compensated with a external eSata or USB
drive.

The Lenovo Thinkpads are some of the most solid laptops in the medium
price range.

You can upgrade your Thinkpad R52 to 2GB RAM and change the harddrive.
That gives you a low cost option for a faster machine. The Thinkpads are
usually worth it.

"Hardware removal and installation - ThinkPad R50/e/p, R51/e, R52":
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-53390.html

-martin