[plug] Which brand of laptop?

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 23:39:55 WST 2008

I've placed my responses in-line:

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM, w0018749
<w0018749 at mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote:
> I am buying a new laptop and I want to know: What brand of
> computers are the best?

I like Dell for Laptops. I've had two occasions to use Dell support
for laptops and it was prompt and efficient. Further, Dell is selling
their laptops with Ubuntu, so support should be pretty good! I'm
warming to Asus, but I don't know how they are with linux. Toshibas
are nice but you pay a premium for the brand name.

>  This question probably has many
> answers so just a link to another discussion somewhere would
> be enough - or even a list of brands to avoid.

I personally wouldn't buy a Sony, LG, or especially Acer laptop.

> These are the things I need on this laptop:
> 1- big enough hard drive to have both linux and windows

Any modern laptop will have this.

> 2- keyboard with a number pad at the right (if possible)

Buy a usb keyboard :)

> 3- DVD player and cd burner

If you don't get a DL DVD burner, you're buying the wrong laptop.

> 4- wireless internet

Your big choice here is wireless G only or wireless N. If the laptop
you purchase does not have wireless G at the very least, then you're
buying the wrong laptop.

> 5- I also need a stress-free installation process - I have
> had several attempts of installing linux and not many
> successes

Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed.

> I plan to install ubunta (spelling?) as I heard it can be
> configured for wireless.

Buy a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Basically, it comes down to your budget which laptop you buy.

Cheers,

Ari