[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Aug 4 23:52:59 WST 2008

sothisistheinternet wrote:

>> answers so just a link to another discussion somewhere would
>> be enough - or even a list of brands to avoid.
>
> I personally wouldn't buy a Sony, LG, or especially Acer laptop.

To counterpoint that. My Acer Travelmate 740 just turned 7 and has been linux-loaded since I bought
it. It's still trucking along although the backlight is starting to show its age. To be fair it has
probably averaged close to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week since it was new.

My Sony Vaio TX has been the best laptop I've ever owned, bar none. It's light, has a *brilliant*
battery life and is pretty much fully functional with Linux (The volume buttons don't work, but it
was quick enough to remap them to function keys).

So I'd have to disagree with two of the three there :)

My next laptop will likely be another Vaio.

Personal opinion and all that.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them