[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 5 12:03:02 WST 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Craig Foster wrote:

> [...]

No, it was the 1730. I am fairly sure of that. If you want to check it,
you could always phone/email Dell, asking them about the specific offer,
of a laptop computer with a 17" screen, for $1200, delivered.

As I stated in my response, to get the numeric keypad inbuilt, a
portable computer (since you do not like the term "laptop" being used
for a 17" screened portable computer) with a 17" screen, would likely be
required.

The Dell XPS M1730 is such a system, and, whether it weighs 5kg or 1 kg,
it is a computer that meets (from my understanding) the specified
requirements.

My missus has a slightly heavier (and, better, because of the screen
aspect ratio; 4:3) Acer 1711, and, that she has found to be too heavy
for her to want to take on aeroplanes, due to the weight requirements
for cabin luggage, that are sometimes enforced, and, because she finds
the computer a bit heavy to lug around). That computer is dual booting
into Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04, without any significant problems,
and is a fairly good computer. However, it was alot more expensive than
the Dell, the Dell having its much cheaper, new-fangled, 17" widescreen
display, and, due to the full sized screen of the Acer, the battery life
for the Acer is only about an hour.

But, anyway, the original poster HAD specified that an inbuilt numeric
keypad was wanted and, as far as I am aware, on a PORTABLE COMPUTER, a
17" screen is required, to get the keyboard width sufficient to include
an inbuilt  numeric keypad (of usable size).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."