[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Tue Aug 5 19:07:49 WST 2008

Maybe
> > the 1720 is what you were thinking of.
> >

> No, it was the 1730. I am fairly sure of that. If you want to check
it,
> you could always phone/email Dell, asking them about the specific
> offer,
> of a laptop computer with a 17" screen, for $1200, delivered.

I was asking, as the current minimum price of a 4.81 kg XPS 1730 is
$2699, whereas the 3.57 kg 1720 is being phased out at $1299 in favour
of the Studio 17 at $1399.
The XPS doesn't include the 0.6 kg power supply either.

> As I stated in my response, to get the numeric keypad inbuilt, a
> portable computer (since you do not like the term "laptop" being used
> for a 17" screened portable computer) with a 17" screen, would likely
> be
> required.
>
> The Dell XPS M1730 is such a system, and, whether it weighs 5kg or 1
> kg,
> it is a computer that meets (from my understanding) the specified
> requirements.

I don't dispute the 1730 having the requirements, however it is not (to
my knowledge) available at $1200. Especially since the 1730 is a dual
video card (8800 SLI), dual hard drive behemoth.

> My missus has a slightly heavier (and, better, because of the screen
> aspect ratio; 4:3) Acer 1711, and
<snip>
> the battery life for the Acer is only about an hour.

The 1730 is the same unfortunately :(

> But, anyway, the original poster HAD specified that an inbuilt numeric
> keypad was wanted and, as far as I am aware, on a PORTABLE COMPUTER, a
> 17" screen is required, to get the keyboard width sufficient to
include
> an inbuilt  numeric keypad (of usable size).

The Studio 17 and 1720 models are suitable, and just as importantly,
they're portable and much cheaper.

> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

I'll keep this email short as I've just lost the feeling in my legs
since typing on "The Behemoth" :)

Craig F.