[plug] file not found at start of boot sequence

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Dec 29 08:12:48 WST 2008

Rob Dunne <rob.dunne at gmail.com> writes:

> I started getting panics with the message
> "pnp bios caused fatal error" so I added pnpbios=off
> to the kernel line in  /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>
> Now I can't boot with this kernel line. I get a "error 15 file not
> found" message right at the start of the boot sequence

That is a grub error telling you that, in this case, you have a typo:

[...]

> kernel /vmlinuz-1.6.24-19-generic

Notice the kernel version of '1.6.24'?  That probably isn't the right
version.  On the other hand, the one that works has...

[...]

> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic

[...]

> The problem persists if I remove the "pnpbios=off"
> How can i find which file is not being found?

Reading the grub documentation?  In any case, the file not being found
is the kernel.  Fix the typo and all will work again. :)

Regards,
        Daniel