[plug] [Fwd: wireless card not recognised at boot]

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:47:55 WST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 07:02 +0900, Patrick Coleman wrote:
-snip-

> > Thanks, Patrick. With the '-a' option it only additionally showed
> > 'sit0', which googling tells me is the "generic tunnel device "sit0"".
> > This fits because the first line for it says "Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4"
>
> Hmm, ok. One thing that would be interesting would be to compare the
> output of the 'dmesg' command when it works and when it doesn't. If
> you're not familiar with it, dmesg prints out the kernel messages
> since boot and will give you information on hardware detection etc.

ahh, another post on this topic ... nice to know the problem is
occupying a part at the back of some people's mind :-)

Hi Patrick, am familiar with the usefulness of dmesg, thanks, and will
do as you say - if I can. Sadly the onboard wireless never comes up
these days. It was a cruel taunting of the lappie's capabilities when it
did come up sometimes in the past. Funny thing was it it first showed
itself straight after I installed the newest madwifi package, but then
it was a flaky hit-or-miss. For a long time time now, not a peep out of
it :-(  I've even done as suggested by one forum and tried the
ndiswrapper package instead of madwifi, but no greater success :-(

Since the system setup knows the card is there, but no amount of
modprob-ing or similar will initiate it, I am beginning to suspect that
software is at fault. I must just have one make of chipset that doesn't
work with linux :-( Can't tell you about its performance under windows,
because I wiped the hard drive completely when I got the lappie.

Gavin.