[plug] looking for a linux-friendly isp

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jan 2 13:12:33 WST 2008

Tim Bowden wrote:

> I tend to recommend people use westnet.  They're not price leaders by
> any means, but they do seem to offer a reasonable service.  There's
> usually a bit of a delay between iinet (local 80lb gorilla) dropping
> prices (or more likely upping plan specs) and westnet following suite.

This was the case in the past, but unfortunately it's not so true these
days - I suspect because they resell Telstra, so they're being gouged by
Telstra wholesale more than the likes of iinet/amnet who have their own
infrastructure.  Their prices aren't really competitive for high-speed
(> 1.5mbit) connections.  e.g.  the closest equivalent to the $90/mth
8mbit 40G/80G amnet plan that have at home is $160/mth with westnet.

Cameron