[plug] sheet music, chords & lyrics

Peter Wright pete at flooble.net
Fri Jul 4 11:03:51 WST 2008

On 03/07 17:26:25, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I am looking for linux software that will allow me to add lyrics and
> chords/bass ready for printing.

What exactly do you mean by "chords/bass"?... This sort of thing?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Introducing-chord-names#Introducing-chord-names

> I have seen that there are a number of  options available, but
> before I start going through and installing them  all I thought I
> would get some feedback.

I used MusixTeX quite a lot in the old days, and more recently have
used M-Tx, a friendlier wrapper for MusixTeX
(http://icking-music-archive.org/software/indexmt6.html#mtx)
for a few things (it's also packaged for Debian/Ubuntu -
"sudo aptitude install m-tx"). I find M-Tx is *really* nice for choral
music (even better than Lilypond), but not so great for anything else. :-)

Lilypond, however, is (IMHO) by far the most actively developed and
has the most lively community behind it. It also has excellent
documentation (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/), and
there are even a few GUI apps that can be used to generate Lilypond
code (eg. as Daniel mentioned, Rosegarden - though I personally don't
like the way that app works and prefer writing the code by hand).

Have a look at the Mutopia Project (http://mutopiaproject.org/) for a
fairly impressive collection of free-as-in-speech-and-beer scores
produced with Lilypond. And you can of course use any of them as a
starting point for your own stuff.

> Cheers,
> Adam.

Pete.
--
Karl Rove is decidedly not a genius; he is simply missing the part
of his soul that prevents the rest of us from kicking elderly women