[plug] My new PC - a little disappointed...

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 07:45:08 WST 2008

> My nightmare started after a smooth installation of Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1,
> 32bit x86 edition.
>
> I have not even tried the AMD64 edition. I used to run that on my old PC for
> some time but ended up going back to 32 bit due to the poor flash support
> and troubles with ndiswrapper and windows drivers for wireless cards.

Interesting to hear you say that. Back when I first got an AMD64
Machine (late 2005), that was true. Even things like OpenOffice didn't
work then!

I've recently installed Hardy 8.04 on many AMD64 machines (some
developers at work are moving to Linux desktops, myself included
soon). Flash works fine once you install the correct package.

As to wireless drivers and ndiswrapper - I'm not sure about that, my
laptop has a broadcom chip that only requires the firmware to work. So
that might be an issue.

AMD64 has come a long way - there are not too many things that don't
work on it anymore.

Daniel Foote.