[plug] Mandriva Free Spring 2008

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 1 22:10:30 WST 2008

Hi

I just installed Mandriva from the latest APC disc (CDs burned from ISOs
on the disc, actually) on a test machine.  Very simple.  Good for people
just starting and non knowing what they want or possibly users looking
for a Windows replacement.  Not for me.

A feature I liked was the ability to copy the install discs to hard disk
first.  That way once things got started I did not have to wait around
to swap discs.

A feature I did not like was the fixed set of packages installed.  No
choice at all, other than Gnome/KDE/Other for the interface.  As usual,
no emacs.

Jim