[plug] printer won't restart

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:13:31 WST 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Richard Yellin <rhyellin at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>  This is a repost as I got no replies.  I am stuck and don't know how to
>  fix this and get my printer going.
>
>  I can't restart my HP DeskJet 5652 (In the past, it worked OKusing CUPS,
>  the hpijs driver and RH9 and Opera 9.5b).
>  One day I disconnected the  printer cables and switched it off while I
>  figured out a printer configuration I made accidentely into opera:config
>  and now have fixed.
>  When I tried to switch it on as /dev/lp0 and djcpr2 using
>  redhat-config-printer, the redhat-config seemed to work.  However,on
>  trying to type a test page, the printer didn't start up and gave this
>  error mesg: "There was a problem sending CUPS test page to djcpr2
>  lpr: unable to print file:service-error-service unavailable"
>  Prior to doing this, I typed in "#/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups start".
>  What else do I need to do?
>
>  Problem 2).
>  I can' see the inconsistency in these commands?
>

>  --
>  regards Richard

Can we get some more basic information?
What distro are you using? How are you linking this printer up (by
your post I assume parallel?)

Or if you want a quick guess-answer I'd say remove the printer through
the GUI, boot the computer with the printer plugged in and switched on
and hopefully kudzu in Redhat will pick it up.

Tomasz