[plug] printer won't restart

Richard Yellin rhyellin at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 26 18:32:38 WST 2008

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:13:31 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz89 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Richard Yellin
> <rhyellin at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi
>>  This is a repost as I got no replies.  I am stuck and don't know how to
>>  fix this and get my printer going.
>>
>>  I can't restart my HP DeskJet 5652 (In the past, it worked OKusing
>> CUPS,
>>  the hpijs driver and RH9 and Opera 9.5b).
>>  One day I disconnected the  printer cables and switched it off while I
>>  figured out a printer configuration I made accidentely into
>> opera:config
>>  and now have fixed.
>>  When I tried to switch it on as /dev/lp0 and djcpr2 using
>>  redhat-config-printer, the redhat-config seemed to work.  However,on
>>  trying to type a test page, the printer didn't start up and gave this
>>  error mesg: "There was a problem sending CUPS test page to djcpr2
>>  lpr: unable to print file:service-error-service unavailable"
>>  Prior to doing this, I typed in "#/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups start".
>>  What else do I need to do?
>>
>> --
>>  regards Richard
>
> Can we get some more basic information?
> What distro are you using? How are you linking this printer up (by
> your post I assume parallel?)Or if you want a quick guess-answer I'd say
> remove the printer through
> the GUI, boot the computer with the printer plugged in and switched on
> and hopefully kudzu in Redhat will pick it up.
> Tomasz

Thanks Tomasz.  My distro is Rsdhat 9 and the printer connection is
parellel to parellel.
Your reply made me think back to basics and I checked the cords behind the
computer and do I feel stupid; the printer parellel cable had fallen away
and there was no connction to the computer.
However the problem remains after I reconnected the cable and rebooted.
Firstly, kuzzu didn't start up and the CUPS test page didn't start either.

Also, how do I remove the printer through the GUI?

Secondly, when I do "# service cups status" to see if cupsd is running or
not, I get 'bash: service: command not found"
and I can't proceed from there.

I also get "$ or # lpc" and "bash: lpc: command not found" and "$ or #lpr"
gives "bash : lpr: command not found"
But "$ or # lpq" works OK.
Can anyone explain this.
Thanks