[plug] OS free laptops?

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Thu May 8 11:02:27 WST 2008

Max wrote:
> Hi,
> Just one thing about Dell, they seem to be quite accommodating as it
> seems that they can give discounts and play around with prices, i would
> suggest that they would have worn the MS tax them selves maybe to get
> the sale or just keep a satisfied customer.
> I doubt if other retailers would be so happy about it ?
>
> I bought a Dell laptop last year and all hardware seems to work well, i
> got a good deal but i must admit that i didn't think of asking them to
> dispose of the redundant MS slopware!
>
> Regards Max.

You can buy the Dell Latitude laptop without an OS.  The Latitude line
are the business laptops - longer support life, more stable
configuration, etc than the Vostro laptops which are the
home/home-office line.  The Vostro might or might not have the OS-less
option, I'm not sure.

If you don't see a no-OS option on the web-based order form then call a
real person to order it and tell them what you want.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D820, recently
upgraded from 7.10.  All the hardware Just Works.

Regards,
Steve