[plug] .flv codec

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun May 11 18:21:28 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 18:08 +0800, Kev wrote:
> What I'm after specifically is just a codec so that I can still use my
> favoured video player (Kaffeine) to play .flv files which I'm already
> able to capture from Youtube etc.

simple, just get win32codec-all (called something like that) from
mplayer site or use your package manager of choice for getting it. I am
watching .flv on opensuse right now.

BTW: I've been looking at this issue somewhat recently for making use of
the useful teaching demo movies available online, so I found a cli tool
to download/save the streams to disc for later viewing. One I find very
simple is "yougrabber". You just get the url of the youtube video and
enter "yg http://somefile/ in a terminal. I was also struggling with
streams that don't give a url but I wanted to keep them for later use
nevertheless. For this I finally found that a firefox browser plugin
called "downloadhelper" is the best of the several I tried. HTH.

Gavin