[plug] uvcvideo module for logitech quickcam pro 9000

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed May 14 22:17:15 WST 2008

David Dartnall wrote:

>> Woah woah woah.. I just re-read what you posted. Did you upgrade this
>> machine from 7.10 by any chance? If you are running 2.6.22-14-386 as
>> the makefile is requesting then you are running an old kernel and
>> there is no way it will find the module you are trying to install!
>>
> uname -r says: Linux localhost 2.6.22-14-386 #1 Tue Feb 12 07:12:19 UTC
> 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Upgrade was from 7.1 Gutsy - the most recent?
>
> modprobe uvcvideo says: FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found.
>
> And I'm sorry folks, I've had it for the day - off to bed to read the
> latest LINUX JOURNAL just arrived.

Ok, you are using your old gutsy kernel! That would explain loads.
try this

sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic

and then reboot. Make *sure* you select
"Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic" at the Grub prompt (you may have to hit (esc) to get the
boot options up)

You are running an old kernel and you really need to be running the latest and greatest.

once you boot into 2.6.14-16 you should be able to remove the old kernel with
sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.22-14-386

What *I'd* do is fire up synaptic and do a search on "linux-image" .. and uninstall all the images
older than 2.6.24-26-generic (do NOT uninstall linux-image-generic).. that process will also remove
them from your grub menu list and simplify things a bit for you.

Brad