[plug] Interesting - has anyone tried?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue May 20 16:35:55 WST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Kev wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:17:08 +0800
> From: Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au>
> To: PLUG <plug at plug.org.au>
> Subject: [plug] Interesting - has anyone tried?
>
> Hi Gize
>
> This is a copy/paste of an email I just received.  Have any of you out there
> had a look at Ulteo?  Do you think it's worth a look for non-tech Linux user?
>

> "We're pleased to announce a new Ulteo product called "Ulteo Virtual
> Desktop" (Beta) which allows you to use Linux applications on the
> Windows(TM) operating system.
>
> Ulteo Virtual Desktop is a full Ulteo system that runs seamlessly on
> Windows and offers a large choice of Linux applications, including the
> Firefox web browser, Thunderbird email client, OpenOffice.org office
> suite, multi-IM software such as Kopete and many others.

Ah, without knowing anything of kopete, the other named applications are
(I believe) already ported to  the lesser capable operating system, MS
Windows.

It sounds to me, a bit like running a Windows emulator on Linux, to run
MySQL and PostgreSQL and Perl, etc, on top of Windows, on top of
Linux.

Why would anyone want to run an emulator on top of an operating system,
to run applications that already run on top of the underlying operating
system?....

:)

--
Bret Busby