[plug] Interesting - has anyone tried?

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Tue May 20 17:09:13 WST 2008

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008, Kev wrote:
>> This is a copy/paste of an email I just received.  Have any of you out
>> there had a look at Ulteo?  Do you think it's worth a look for
>> non-tech Linux user?
>
> Ah, without knowing anything of kopete, the other named applications are
> (I believe) already ported to  the lesser capable operating system, MS
> Windows.
>
> It sounds to me, a bit like running a Windows emulator on Linux, to run
> MySQL and PostgreSQL and Perl, etc, on top of Windows, on top of Linux.
>
> Why would anyone want to run an emulator on top of an operating system,
> to run applications that already run on top of the underlying operating
> system?....

I can see it being very useful as a staged or phased move over from
Windows to Linux, especially for someone who is uncomfortable with a
fairly big or quick change. There's probably also quite a few
rote-learnt Windows power users who can do a bit of machine
administration who would benefit from this toe-in-the-water approach.

Like so many other things in IT, I can see a place for it. Probably not
for me right now though.

Heck, (assuming it all works as I imagine) you could run this
Windows+UlteoVD for a while, then switch to GNU/Linux+VirtualBox for any
remaining Windows apps, and eventually move to a full GNU/Linux
environment (:

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955