[plug] Re: Looking for a Web Monkey (Still)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu May 22 07:08:54 WST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> After interviewing a few candidates who didn't quite have the required
> skills we need, we're still looking for a Web Guru at Murdoch Uni. Is
> it just me, or is it a lot tougher to find decent programmers looking
> for work in Perth than it was a couple of years ago?

How much are you paying?

> If you're interested in a job like this, please drop me an E-mail. If
> you know anyone else who might be interested, please let them know
> too.
>
> We're looking for someone with a decent grasp of supporting,
> enhancing, creating, and fixing web apps in an Apache environment.

Cool,  so that starts at $60k?

> Perl/PHP is useful, although we're happy to take someone who's good at
> picking up different languages, and doesn't mind us saying "No, don't
> do it in Java or .NET". MySQL, Oracle, XML, XSLT & JS/AJAX skills are
> also valued.

Yeah, all of that adds another $10k to $15k if you want them to know
whats going to be best in the right environment.

> There's also some non-Apache work, such as Java portlets in an Oracle
> Portal platform, an IIS server for some 3rd party Windows specific
> apps, etc...

Add some more.

> The salary range is "$61K-$75K" (including Super) if you've got some
> good experience under your belt, although we're happy to consider
> fresh graduates, etc. It won't make you rich, but it pays the bills.
> ^_^

See, thats the problem. Web developers can get more freelancing
within a very specific area of expertise. Finding "well rounded"
individuals is hard unless you offer them actual incentives..

(The above should also true in areas besides web developers.)

Adrian