[plug] EEEpc Debian upgrade

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 21:42:02 WST 2008

Hi Garry,

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:42:03 +0900
garry <garbuck at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Has anyone done a dist-upgrade from Lenny to Etch on their Eeepc (the
> original one) since Etch went stable?
>
> Everything still sweet or was there blood on the walls?

Well I have not done an upgrade, but a clean install. having bought the
eee a week or so ago, XP lasted all of about 20 mins, just long enough
to turn it on and shut it down again. With the help of my debian
desktop I was able to write the Netboot image to a usb stick and away
we went.

So far:

Camera works, wireless works, wired works (using wicd for network
control), suspend to ram works, still working on suspend to disk, sound
works but keeps setting the PCM volume back to 0 on reboot. XFCE runs
very nicely. External monitor (to projector) mirroring internal monitor
is fine.

Connection to Virgin broadband (using usbmodem) works great.

Still trying to work out the best way to syncronise from the desktop to
the eee. Probably going to try something like unison.

Virtualbox ose is running nicely, just have to get
*cough*windows*cough* installed on there so that I can use it for those
things work requires of me...

I also still need to try to tweak the power using a little as when
using the wireless and / or the virgin broadband it really chews
through the battery.

Oh, model is a eee 1000h.

On bringing it home, the other half decided very quickly that she would
like one of those.. and then there were two...

Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services