[plug] ubuntu 8.10 won't shutdown

Innis Cunningham innisc at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:07:13 WST 2008

Hi All
I downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 today and installed it only to find that it won't
shutdown.Is anyone else experiencing  this problem?.
When the install finished and it ask for a restart the computer just hung.
The only way to shut down was to do a hard reset.
After that 8.10 booted ok but when I go to shutdown the computer once again
just hangs.By doing ctrl+alt+f1 and then ctrl+alt+f7 it seems it is hung on
shutting down alsa and the only way to get control again is to do a hard shutdown
once again.So I have installed 8.04lts which seemed to load and run fine.But I have
not tried to shut it down yet.
A second question if I may.The hard drive that I was using for the above had three partitions
on it plus a swap partition on it.They being root,home and usr.Under the new setup I just want
two partitions  root and home.But by deleting the usr partition I don't seem to be able to get
that space back for adding to the home partition.This is using the partitioner in the Ubuntu
installer.Is there away to get the space back short of completely repartitioning the drive.I don't
wish to have to do this as it will destroy all the data I have on the home partition and I don't
want to do that unless there is no other option.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers
Innis