[plug] Eee 901 and other "netbooks"

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 02:50:02 WST 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Adam Ashley <aashley at adamashley.name> wrote:
> yeah dont bother with the 1000HD get the 1000H which is $650 odd at jbhifi now.

PLE are doing an overclockers.com.au forums special for $599 :)

> The MSI Wind is a good machine if you managed to get one of the
> initial 'special edition' ones covered in love hearts. ie the only one
> shipping with a 6 cell battery in Australia, but they're all sold out
> now.

No, the latest shipments are all U100 6-cell models. Netplus have them in stock.

> >From playing with em my recommendation would be EeePC 901 if you can
> put up with the small keyboard, or absolutely must have a solid state
> drive right now.

I'd like to have a play around with the Dell 9. I got the 1000H
myself, but I like to be able to give good recommendations to
friends/clients and that means having a play with these :)

> Else the EeePC 1000H if you want a bit bigger screen
> and keyboard (much bigger keyboard actually) and dont mind having a
> normal hard drive.
>
> The thing to note the hard drive is the 1000H is easily user
> replacable unlike the 901 where you have to pretty much disasemble the
> unit to replace it. So you could replace it with a SSD later when the
> price is more favourable.

Same with the MSI Wind - standard 2.5" laptop drives.

> As to OS to run on em, nuke what it comes with and install
> http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/ as of 8.04.1 just boot the live cd/usb
> key/sd card run the installer and thats it.

Please email iiNet and ask that this be added to their FTP site! My
quota is almost gone and I wants it for my precious
1000H...my....PRECIOUS!!!@!@

> 100% working hardware out
> of the box. For my 1000H I have done no tweaking what-so-ever it all
> just works.

I added a 2GB memory module and will be dual booting when I get my
hands on the ubuntu-eee iso.

Ari