[plug] Evolution defaults ...

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:36:59 WST 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 20:33 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Some of you may have remembered the post I made a while ago about SUE
> destroying my 10.3 installation with their "last security update".
>
> I have since installed SUSE 11.2 (I know, but I'm used to it, and it is
> a work machine ...)

Stick with what you know well, eh :-) Why not, I still like it.

> Since then, when I click on a URL in Evolution, I get messages that say
> "epiphany doesn't exist" (well that's not the EXACT message, but you get
> the idea ...

Evo is a gnomey thing, so I think I'm right in believing epiphany is
gnome's default browser. Anyway, I _think_ the way to get it associating
html links with another browser is to install the gnome app
"gconf-editor". You may already have it. There's usually no menu link
for it - type that at a cli and see what you get.

*** ASIDE: aint bash great these days? Gone is the cryptic "not found"
or whatever. Now bash says really _smart_ things like suggesting the
full path to an app, or telling you it's not installed and how to
install it. Makes the cli much more user friendly even for novices
***

Once gconf-editor is running drill down to
"/desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec" key. Highlight (choose) it in
the right window and/or then right-click to edit the key value, typing
in the new default browser in the relevant box.
There is no 'save' button, just quit gconf-editor and the changes are
made. Probably have to restart your session to have changes in effect.

> I have Googled to find how to adjust volution, but it's all ooolllddd.
> Anybody know how to change the default browser? And it's KDE - KDE 4.3
> is not nearly as bad as KDE 4.x was ....

Yeh, when I upgraded to opensuse 11.1 with kde 4.1, I found the desktop
so awful and taxing on my aging laptop that I ditched it in favour of
icewm (btw: tried xfce4 again first, but seems to have lost its trimness
and also bogged down my system).

Gavin