[plug] Wireless-N router for faster wireless....

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Jan 20 15:05:20 WST 2009

Hi,

William Kenworthy wrote:
> I searched differently and found many hits saying how to do this - some
> step by step.  Avoid ad-hoc in the search terms helps.  Originally, I
> was looking to see if a dlink usb key and windows box could connect to a
> ps3 for internet play and found a guide that was basicly normal ad-hoc
> mode without saying so - no tricks at all!  What did surprise me (or
> maybe it shouldnt) was all the clueless types reccomending 128bit wep
> over wpa and other total crap ideas :)

Can you gibe me your search terms, or some links to these steps you
mention,
as I still cannot find anyone who says they could get the ps3 connected
to an ad-hoc network (other than with the PSP)

> In this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
>
> "Sony has also demonstrated the PSP playing back video content from the
> PlayStation 3 hard disk across an ad-hoc wireless network. This feature
> is referred to as Remote Play located under the browser icon on both the
> PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation Portable. Remote play has since
> expanded to allow remote access to the PS3 via PSP from any wireless
> access point in the world."

Again, ad-hoc connection to the psp, not to any other machine/device.

I have had a look at the PS3 wireless connection settings since my last
post, and it only brings up AP's to connect to.
There is no setting under the wireless settings to go ad-hoc.
You either SCAN for AP's or enter the AP name manually, or use AROS (i
think it was called)

The remote play setting mentioned is for use with PSP, which you must
first register under 'remote devices' in the system settings.

I have to disagree - PS3 cannot do ad-hoc, unless the other device is a PSP.

 From other searches, the PS3 cannot even ad-hoc to other PS3's ,which
has been complained about to Sony by users (for setup of ad-hoc gaming
sessions between two ps3's)

-Lucas