[plug] Which Scanners?

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat May 30 11:54:26 WST 2009

Peter Sutter <sutterp at sopac.com.au> wrote:

>I am looking for a scanner with slide scanning capabilities. It appears that
>none of the models currently on the market is supported by Linux, they are
>either not listed on http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html or marked as
>unsupported, and the ones listed with good or complete can't be purchased
>anymore.

>Will consider two separate scanners too, single slide scanner and normal A4
>scanner.

>Has anybody got any of the newer scanners working under Linux, and with which
>drivers?

Check for VueScan's support of scanners under Linux
<http://www.hamrick.com/>

It supports e.g. the Canon FS4000 which is a fairly new model, a
development apparently of the FS2710 that I've been using with
VueScan for a number of years; for slides and 35mm film.
This is OK for causal use.

You'd need a bigger Nikon model for automatic film and slide feeding
capabilities.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | When we remember that we are all mad,
 X   against HTML mail     | the mysteries disappear and life stands
/ \  and postings          | explained. -- Mark Twain