[plug] imap2 issue

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 09:55:51 WST 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the client side, can't the packets
come from any port?
So on input chain, you need to have dpt not spt? Not sure about output chain.

On my server, some of the iptables rules used are as follows.

# one rule to allow estabilished/related connections to continue to flow
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# As many of these rules are required for each service I want to
provide access to.
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport imap2 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Have a play with that kind of setup and see how it goes.

Tim

2009/10/16 Jon L Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>:
> I’m having an issue where I cannot receive mail from imap2 on our mail
> server.  Running tshark I can see the SYN packets when Outlook starts up but
> it is only SYN packets.
>
> The iptable has both an INPUT (sport) and OUTPUT (dport) rule
>
> Snip of iptables –L
>
> Chain Input
>
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp spt:imap2
>
> Chain Output
>
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:imap2
>
> Chain Forward
>
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:imap2
>

> Jon L Miller, CCNA, MCNE, CNS
>
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
>
> Perth, Western Australia
>

> Disclaimer

> immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete
> this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
> secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
> destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender
> therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
> contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia