[plug] consolidated supply

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Fri Oct 30 10:55:47 WST 2009

From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au on behalf of Gregory Orange
Sent: Fri 30/10/2009 12:04 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] consolidated supply

2009/10/29 David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au>:
> ***************
> Amnet email:
>
> I'm one of your customers.
> You provide our adsl2+ service on a bi-yearly pre-paid basis - 2G + 2G.
> Our local telephone service is provided by Telstra, paid on monthly invoice.
> Optus provides our international landline telephone service, no contract,
> paid on monthly invoice.
> My mobile phone service is also Optus, no contract, paid on monthly invoice.
> And I'm sick of this shemozzle, it's costing too much - we need to
> consolidate with one supplier.
> We do not accept direct debit arrangements.
> Please email your proposition(s) / options in the event that you can offer a
> suitable service.
>
> ***************
> Amnet reply:
>
> Hi Dave, unfortunately we only supply ADSL services on top of already active
> phone services.
> We are unable to offer a substitute that you require.

Wow that's terrible service, before sales too! If you've included all
the text from both yours and AmNet's emails, that person is clearly
showing they don't want your business. I'd say try with another
employee, maybe this one has a chip on their shoulder or just needs to
learn some more customer-facing skills. You've clearly got an active
phone service with Telstra, so need to check whether your exchange has
other providers' DSLAMs in them - http://adsl2exchanges.com.au/  In
fact, having ADSL2+ with AmNet obviously they have presence in the
exchange!
>From there you can find out if they offer Naked (if that's what you
want) or what other service combinations you might be happy with.

Good luck,
Greg.

--
Gregory Orange

________________________________

<devil's advocate hat=on>

Does anyone ask Alinta to supply power, or even Telstra to supply Power?
Amnet are an ISP with roots in fibre provisioning. They don't own landline telephone services or mobile towers so why ask them about providing it?
Amnet can supply naked DSL once you have an existing line to disconnect the dial tone from and they also have a VoIP service (which doesn't cover international landlines).
Services other than that will require someone with the breadth of services of Telstra, Optus, AAPT, or some other companies which will bill you but farm out certain services to other companies (with their cut of course).

<devil's advocate hat=off>

I'm not having a go at anybody, more querying why there's some rather misguided responses that are not offering much to the discussion.

Regards,

Craig F.
(don't hate the formatting... I hate OWA as much as the next person...)