[plug] OT: Pool of IPs for testing load-balanced connections

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Sep 4 10:54:41 WST 2009

Adrian Woodley <Adrian at Diskworld.com.au> writes:

> The routing tables will only now as far as their local gateway device (NextG
> router, Satellite modem, etc), which will be performing NAT. Knowing that
> your gateway device is up doesn't necessarily imply that it has Internet
> access, especially with things like NextG and Satellite.
>
> This is why it would be a lot easier if this style devices supported a
> better routing protocol than RIP.

*nod*  Wouldn't it be nice?  Last time I had to solve an issue similar to
this, with this sort of constraint, I ended up with a bit of Perl that would
screen-scrape the ADSL modem, extract the current local IP, then add one to
the final octet to get the remote IP.  Ugly as sin.

        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.