[plug] Cannot load eth0 on boot or after bootup

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Sep 7 17:07:38 WST 2009

I have a Debian v 4 gateway server that only run a firewall and exim4 mail.
This morning out of the blue both NIC's failed to load on reboot.  What I
get now is device not found.  If I run lspci I can see both nNic information
and in dmesg I can see both Nic as eth0 and eth1.  Yet at the end of the
bootup the error message states that neither card load with a device not
found.  If I issue ifup eth0 same error message.  If I rmmod and modprobe it
loads the driver.  I've replaced the NICs and tried a different slot nothing
seems to help.

Erro msg:

SIOCSIFADDR: no such device

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.