[plug] 850/900Mhz UMTS modems - 3G Broadband

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 19:20:00 WST 2010

We are in the process of moving even further out into the sticks, and
are looking for mobile broadband options. I'm hoping to find a modem
that will support both NextG and also the Optus/Vodafone extended
network (hence the 850Mhz and 900Mhz). Ideally, it'll also support the
2100Mhz UMTS band, as well as all the normal GSM bands.
Ideally, it would be a standalone modem that connects to the lan via
ethernet, but failing that it needs to work flawlessly under Linux. From
my research so far, most solutions are USB dongles that plug directly
into the computer, and a separate "3G Modem" that you then need to plug
the dongle into. If that's the case, it probably makes more sense that I
just get the dongle and use my Linux media centre as the gateway.
Failing finding a 850/900Mhz modem, what 3G modems (ether 850 OR 900)
"just work" with Linux?

What experiences do people have relying on 3G broadband?

Thanks

Tim