[plug] Flash 'cookies'

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:41:06 WST 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 21:02 +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 15:39 +0800, Kev wrote:
> >> I found another copy of the same .sol files here:
> >> ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys
> >
> > Sure, these are 'scary' when abused by websites, but some are needed to
> > maximise browsing convenience. For example, when about to delete a whole
> > block of *.sol files I noticed one was for abc's iview. This is how I
> > guess the site knows what you've watched before, and even more important
> > knowing where you are part way through a stream that gets interrupted.
> >
> > Gavin.
>
> I agree, just like HTML cookies, they have very valid uses. It's long been
> known that all technologies can be used for both good and evil. Can I turn
> off your power and cut off your phone and computer because 'somebody' has
> used them in aid of terrorism?
>
> I can cope with cookies by making sure I am in control of which sites can
> store such data on my hard drive. I was surprised that flash cookies has
> been around so long and I had never heard of them. I am now looking for
> the best method of managing them.

I too was ignorant of them until the original posting, despite being
religious about controlling regular cookies for years. Anyway, the
article link given by the OP pointed to a firefox plugin. If you install
this then it gives a chance to accept 'safe' flash cookies while
rejecting all others, so I can have my iview cookie and keep it too ;-)

Gavin.