[plug] trying to buy a linux netbook

David Buddrige dbuddrige at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 29 19:24:44 WST 2010

Hi all,

I am currently in the market for a linux based netbook.  I've found a
few models on the internet that seem to fit my needs perfectly (eg
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YxnYGjoMzEzmz0Hn)  - but then  I
can't find a retailer who will actually sell them to me.

They umm and ahh about solid state drives, but as soon as you mention
linux it seems the shutters go up and you're sool.

For example, although [for example] asus offer an eepc with linux
pre-installed, no retailer offers them - I've tried Dick Smiths, Good
guys, JB Hifi, and even PLE but they all say that the only netbooks they
offer run windows.

Does anyone know a retailer that offers netbooks running linux
preinstalled in Perth?

The main spec's that interest me in a netbook are:

Lightweight - <= 1kg
Battery life [as long as possible - 5+ hours]
Solid State Hard Drive [>=16GB would be adequate to my needs but would
consider 8GB depending on price]
absolutely no bigger than 10" - I  want something that is tiny
Linux pre-installed

I like the eepc line, but would consider other machines.

thanks heaps guys,

David.