[plug] Tiled window managers

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 16 11:21:16 WST 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Brad Campbell wrote:

> After getting incredibly frustrated at having 2 1920x1200 monitors on my
> desk, and metacity refusing to allow me to use them as 2 separate work
> spaces, I was pushed to try xmonad.
>
> It's a bit of a shift in thinking to let the window manager do its thing, and
> drive it entirely with the keyboard. I've got an A3 cheat sheet of keystrokes
> on the wall in front of me just in case, but after 2 hours of actually using
> it I find I don't need it much.
>
> For example, when I hit "write" in thunderbird to compose this, the message
> composition window got "master window" spot, pushing thunderbird off out the
> way to let me do what I need to do. Meanwhile my rdesktop connection into a
> windows machine sits on the next monitor in its full screen glory, waiting
> for me to roll my mouse across to it. When I switch workspaces on Monitor 1,
> the content of monitor 2 stays put.
>
> Does anyone else use window managers that manage the windows for you, rather
> than you trying to figure out the best place to put them?
>
> This is entirely new to me, but it's very, very quickly becoming a far more
> natural way to work.
>
> Brad

I have no idea as to whether it is what you want, but, in using gnome,
in the right hand end of my taskbar, I have four workspace things, and,
from time to time, what I am in, inadvertently ends up in a different
workspace (it can take me a while to figure out what is going on as it
appears that everything has crashed, and then, after a while, I notice
that one of the other workspace things is occupied, so I click on that,
and I am back where I was (in a new parallel dimension/universe) ).

In using the four workspaces, I expect that you would be able to do
with only one of your monitors.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale