[plug] Tiled window managers

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Thu Sep 16 14:38:24 WST 2010

On 16/09/10 11:18, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have no idea as to whether it is what you want, but, in using gnome, in the right hand end of my
> taskbar, I have four workspace things, and, from time to time, what I am in, inadvertently ends up
> in a different workspace (it can take me a while to figure out what is going on as it appears that
> everything has crashed, and then, after a while, I notice that one of the other workspace things is
> occupied, so I click on that, and I am back where I was (in a new parallel dimension/universe) ).
>
> In using the four workspaces, I expect that you would be able to do with only one of your monitors.

Which is precisely the issue. Gnome sees a single screen of 3840x1200. It has some basic
intelligence with regard to being able to place a panel on each screen, but the workspace is global
to both screens so if I have Firefox on the left of workspace 1 and Thunderbird on the right of
Workspace 2,I can't have them both up at the same time.