[plug] Finding which files reside in sector XYZ in a FAT filesystem [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:10:35 WST 2011

Thanks Ari.

You'll probably find that a lot of the things it can do, testdisk and
photorec can also do (just not with such a nice gui).

I eventually found the tools I needed in the SleuthKit
(http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/). There is a web based gui for
it, but I didn't really like it that much as I knew exactly what I was
looking for.

I did a bit of a writeup
(http://tim.purewhite.id.au/2011/04/disk-recovery-which-files-are-damaged/)
on how to use the tools to work out which files were in the damaged
sectors.

I've done a lot of data recovery before, but hadn't really thought of
telling the clients which files had damaged sectors. Often it's an all
or nothing recovery, in this case it was an almost complete recovery
except for a few sectors. The main issue was it took forever, and
identifying those few files that had been affected also took forever!

Tim

On 19 April 2011 03:37, Arie Hol <arie2010 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2011 at 16:21, Tim wrote:
>
>> So far the best I've got with this is running in scripted mode,
> 8<------------------ snip --------------------->8
>
>  Any other ideas? I'm surprised that it's been so hard to find
>> something like this.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Have a look at a package of software utilities known as 'Convar Tools'.
>
> From : http://computer.meiergerhard.de/convar.htm
>
> I used it recently to recover over 200GB of data from my daughters HDD,
> after her HDD failed during the hot weather.
>
> It is free software, for Windows.
>
> It is made available by the German company that created it, this company
> came into prominance after the 911 disaster in New York, they even
> recover data from HDD's that have been totally melted down.
>
> Read all about it on their web site.
>
> But you will need to install the HDD as a secondary/slave drive in
> another Windows PC, then install the recovery sofftware on the same
> machine.
>
> This software package is absolutely amazing - it will find "things" you
> might not have imagined - it will report the status of every
> file/fragment it finds.
>
> You just "highlight" the files you want and then  "Copy" and "Paste" into
> your chosen recovery folder.
>
> Also consider a package named "Recover My Files", available free from :
>
> http://www.recovermyfiles.com/data-recovery-software-
> download.php?file=RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe
>
> Good luck and take care.............
>
> Regards Arie

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia