[plug] Ubuntu Unity

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 17:01:14 WST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM,  <home at oranges.id.au> wrote:
> On 13 July 2011 15:58, Carl Gherardi <carl.gherardi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've decided to take the plunge and try Unity for at least a fortnight
>> full time to see if I can actually function.
>>
>> Two immediate annoyances.
>> 1) Alt-F2 (10+ years of motor memory for console/workspace 2) switches
>> workspace, but also kicks up a modal 'Run' dialogue that i can't seem
>> to find how to disable.
>
> Strange. Alt-F2 has always been 'Run' in Ubuntu (I think 6.06 was my
> first use) for me. Alt-F1 used to be the apps menu, now it seems it
> switches to the Unity bar (or whatever it's called), and Super pulls
> up the Ubuntu-logo menu (hmm, kicker? or is that KDE terminology).

I've always mapped Alt-FX to 'Move to workspace X'

The run dialog refuses to be disable for some reason

>> 2) No perma-visible toolbar. I really want my cpu/network/disk/mem
>> usage graph always in view. Also geyes
>
> I don't love or hate the self-blanking menu bar. I guess it just makes
> the top area of my screen look like it's wasted real estate until I
> want a menu. Not sure how they could do it better... too much
> animation annoys me.

A readily visible network monitor is important to me, i'm using a
tethered mobile phone for home Internet at the moment, and a visible
indication that the video of a cute kitten has completely stopped
downloading v downloading at a slow rate due to dodgy connection is
something i'm missing.

Ditto for memory with Firefox/Chrome consuming all available resources
and needing a boot

Ditto for CPU usage with a compile running on another workspace, or
application gone mad.

Carl G