[plug] IPv6 In Australia!

Southen southen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:00:39 WST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:59, Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using the sixxs tunnel broker service for some time now.
> Given that the PoP I'm on is in London, you can understand that at
> times it's very slow.
> Today, I tried to setup an AARNet tunnel following the instructions
> from (http://michael-wheeler.org/2009/03/24/australian-ipv6-tunnel-broker/
> ).
> Most importantly that the request subnet/tunnel page says it didn't
> work when it does. The software is no longer called gw6c, its gogoc,
> and you need to disable key checking.
>
> Other than that, my network is all setup for IPv6 via AARNet now and
> my average ping went from 700ms down to about 300ms for an australian
> machine. (Still not as good as the 40ms over ipv4).
>
> It was surprisingly easy to setup the subnet as well, compared to
> sixxs. With sixxs I had to setup radvd myself. Gogoc gets the subnet
> from the broker server automatically, and creates a radvd config that
> radvd loads. Sweet!
>
> Tim
> --
> Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia

I've only used AARNet tunnels (http://broker.aarnet.net.au/), and assumed
they had run out of subnet allocations again when it repeatedly error'd, it
is indeed good news to hear that it works... I take it the autoconfigure
settings for the authentication client just do the right thing when the host
type is set to "router"?
Personally I followed the guide at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ipv6.xml(unfortunately without the actual
routing part) and found the
"net-misc/gateway6" package in portage works fine with AARNet...

--
Sebastian Southen