[plug] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 - no supporting mirrors

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:45:09 WST 2011

On 10/06/2011, Thomas Sutton <thsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 June 2011 13:35, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I am wondering whether anyone in WA has been able to install Debian
>> 6.0.1 amd64 version.
>
> I've installed three machines with debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso
> downloaded from iiNet's mirror in the last week (using their APT
> mirror too). I had to burn physical media as it didn't want to work on
> a USB HDD, but other than that it worked as expected.
>
>> I have been trying with a firmware netinst iso (from
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>> ), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
>> tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
>> "mirror does not support version (squeeze)".
>>
>> Please advise.
>
> I got this message a bunch of times. It turned out that every mirror I
> tried didn't "support" the that version because I hadn't plugged the
> Ethernet cable in. :-)
>
> Are you sure your networking is up?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Sutton

I am using the same LAN, in the sending of this message and the
original message in the thread.

The network settings in the installation process, seem straightforward enough.

I used the default gateway IP address, the first attempt (the gateway
IP address defaulted to the IP address of the firewall/gateway
computer, then I replaced that address with the IP address of the
modem, and that returned an error, so I reverted to the IP address of
the firewall gateway computer, and I have just checked this computer,
and the gateway IP address for this computer, is set to the IP address
of the firewall/gateway computer, and so I assume that that IP address
is acceptable to the installation process).

So, the NIC of the computer on which I am trying to do the
installation, as the installation process accepts the IP address of
the firewall/gateway computer, but not the IP address of the modem,
should be not a problem, as one but not the other IP address for the
gateway IP address is acceptable, so it appears to be able to
differentiate between te two IP addresses, indicating that the network
connection is working.

Oh, as an aside, I note that, when I posted the original message in
the thread, I got a "Your message is awaiting moderation" response. I
do not know whether this is an effect of the differentiation that was
mentioned ion the past, to be implemented between financial members of
PLUG and the rest of the world; that all people who are not listed as
financial members of PLUG, are automatically on moderated status.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."